A Family Advocate is warm, accessible, organized and empathetic. The Family Advocate works with Goleta families to promote their health, academic success, and well-being and to reduce family stressors so that parents can support their children’s preparation for Kindergarten and school success. Additionally, this position supports focused outreach on behalf of the City of Goleta to increase community engagement. She or he assists in the coordination of social services for children and families in the Goleta Valley, and engages in all the work of the Family Resource Center. A can-do attitude, perseverance and ability to work with diverse populations are critical to success in this position. The Family Advocate will be working under the supervision of the Family Resource Program Manager.
City of Goleta
- Develop and engagement plan for Spanish speaking residents of Goleta with input from the Community Relations Manager at the City of Goleta.
- Meet with Community Relations Manager regularly (at least twice per month)
- Perform interpretation at City meetings
- Translate City materials as requested by the City
- Develop Relationship with key community partners as both a representative of IVYP and a representative of the City of Goleta
- May be asked to work in declared emergencies to provide information to the community in Spanish –this may include both interpretation and translation
- Conduct outreach to Spanish-speaking families in Goleta through door to door outreach, event participation, website and social media posts, phone calls, text, radio interviews and representation at meetings.
- Identify community needs of families and individuals in the Goleta Valley
- Conduct outreach to families in the Goleta Union School District as well as and other service organizations
- Help organize and conduct parent support / education groups on a variety of topics of interest to families. Assist with child care during the parenting classes.
- Compose and translate materials into Spanish; verbally translate for Spanish-speaking clients
- Provide resource & referral to families; maintain positive working relations with referral sources 6. Food distribution and knowledge of emergency food and resources
- Represent IVYP at meetings and trainings
- Develop and keep statistical reports and records; accurately enter data onto computer
- Coordinate with partner agencies and individuals
- Develop additional partnerships/collaborations
- Assess the needs of individual children and families
- Provide appropriate referrals for parent education, counseling and other family needs
- Develop a strength-based service plan with families that includes appropriate referrals and interventions 4. Advocate for families to receive services when necessary
- Maintain updated client records
- Enrollment & utilization of Health Insurance Programs
- Home visits for families if appropriate
- Maintain effective communication with families and staff
- CalFresh enrollment and outreach to the community.
- Minimum A.A. with related experience in providing or coordinating social services; BA/BS preferred.
- Excellent translation and interpretations skills. Must demonstrate proficiency at a C1 (Effective Operational Proficiency) or C2 (Master) level as determined by Berlitz Testing.
- Valid California Driver’s License
- Proficiency in Microsoft office suite (Word, Excel, Powerpoint)
- Must pass the Department of Justice fingerprint process.
- Must pass a pre-employment physical examination and tuberculosis clearance.
- Show verification for the Measles, Mumps and Rubella (MMR) and the Diphtheria, Tetanus and
- Pertussis (DTaP) vaccinations.
- Flexible Schedule, including some evenings and weekends.
- Capacity to handle multiple tasks, remain flexible, prioritize appropriately and manage work flow.
- Experience working with at-risk youth and families
- Comply with contractual expectations, ethical and legal standards of practice and confidentiality, and HIPAA and FERPA requirements as appropriate
- Bilingual Spanish/English and Bicultural required.
- Great team player
- Passionate and Determined about families
Salary range is $18 – $22 per hour, based on experience. This is a non-exempt, hourly position. Benefits after 30 days include: health, dental and vision insurance, sick/vacation accrual, paid holidays, Life Insurance and 403b retirement plan.
Please submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com